Case Report: Pearls and Pitfalls
Vol 2 | Issue 1 | January-June 2021 | Page 19-21 | Anju Grewal
Authors: Anju Grewal 
 Department of Anaesthesia, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Anju Grewal,
Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital,
Ludhiana-141001, Punjab, India.
- What are case reports:
A case report is a focussed narrative of a medical problem or an unexpected presentation/outcome faced by the physician in one or several patients. A case report may describe an unusual clinical disease, a challenging differential diagnosis or management, an unusual, or unique setting /technical approach for care, an information that cannot be reproduced due to ethical reasons, or adverse interactions.[2,3]
- Need and importance of reporting
- Can we improve the reporting of case reports to make them useful to evidence based scientific literature?
- Pearls & Pitfalls Common pitfalls inviting rejection are
- It is desirable to incorporate a range of unique characteristics, such as
Novel, accurate and transparent case reports are challenging to write and publish. High-quality case reports are more likely when authors follow the CARE guidelines and the specific journal instructions to authors.
1. Joel J. Gagnier, Gunver Kienlec, Douglas G. Altman, David Moher, Harold Sox, David Riley, and the CARE Group. The CARE guidelines: consensus-based clinical case report guideline Development. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2014; 67:46e51
2. Rakesh Garg, Shaheen E. Lakhan and Ananda K. Dhanasekaran. How to review a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports.2016; 10:88 DOI 10.1186/s13256-016-0853-3
3. Cohen H. How to write a patient case report. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2006;63:1888–92.
4. David S. Riley, Melissa S. Barber, Gunver S. Kienle, Jeffrey K. Aronson,
Tido von Schoen-Angerer, Peter Tugwell et al. CARE guidelines for case reports: explanation and elaboration document. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2017; 89: 218e235
5. Alberto J Cabán-Martinez1, and Wilfredo F García Beltrán. Advancing medicine one research note at a time: the educational value in clinical case reports. BMC Research Notes 2012; 5:293
6. Hauben M, Aronson JK. Gold standards in pharmaco-vigilance: the use of definitive anecdotal reports of adverse drug reactions as pure gold and high-grade ore. Drug Saf 2007;30(8):645e55.
7. Aleksandra G. Florek, Robert P. Dellavalle. Case reports in medical education: a platform for training medical students, residents, and fellows in scientific writing and critical thinking.J Med Case Rep. 2016; 10: 86. doi: 10.1186/s13256-016-0851-5
8. Sandeep B Bavdekar1, Sushma Save2. Writing Case Reports: Contributing to Practice
and Research. Journal of The Association of Physicians of India 2015; 63.
9. Kaszkin-Bettag M, Hildebrandt W. Case report on cancer therapies: the urgent need to improve the reporting quality. Glob Adv Health Med 2012;1(2):8e10. http://dx.doi.org:10.7453/gahmj.2012.1.2.002.
10. Moher D, Schulz KF, Simera I, Altman DG. Guidance for developers of health research reporting guidelines. Plos Med 2010;7(2): e1000217.
11. Gagnier JJ, Kienle G, Altman DG, Moher D, Sox H, Riley DS. The CARE Group. The CARE guidelines: consensus-based clinical case report guideline development. Glob Adv Health Med 2013;2(5):38e43
12. Trygve Nissen and Rolf Wynn.The clinical case report: a review of its merits and Limitations. BMC Research Notes 2014, 7:264
13. J P Vandenbroucke. In Défense of case reports and case series. Ann Intern Med 2001 Feb 20;134(4):330-4.
14. Maja Ivančević Otanjac, Irina Milojević. Writing a Case Report in English. Srp Arh Celok Lek. 2015 Jan-Feb;143(1-2):116-118
15. Yuliia Lysanets, Halyna Morokhovets and Olena Bieliaieva. Stylistic features of case reports as a genre of medical discourse. Journal of Medical Case Reports (2017) 11:83
|How to Cite this Article: Grewal A | Case Report: Pearls and Pitfalls | International Journal of Regional Anaesthesia | January-June 2021; 2(1): 19-21.