Ultrasound Guided Regional Anaesthesia for Breast Surgery in High Risk Patients- A Retrospective Observational Study
Vol 3 | Issue 2 | July-December 2022 | Page 93-97 | Harshal D Wagh, Shruthi Pendalya, Mandar Nadkarni
Authors: Harshal D Wagh , Shruthi Pendalya , Mandar Nadkarni 
 Department of Anaesthesia, Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
 Department of Oncosurgery, Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Harshal D Wagh,
Department of Anaesthesia, Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Introduction: Modified radical mastectomy (MRM) or breast conservative surgery (BCS) done under general anaesthesia (GA) in high-risk patients may be associated with significant morbidity, Intensive Care Unit stay and increased hospital stay leading to cost issues. In this case-series, we describe our experience with regional anesthesia for MRM or BCS and sentinel / complete axillary clearance in 61 patients with breast carcinoma who were high risk for perioperative complications in view of their co-morbidities. None required ICU or increased hospital stay postoperatively.
Material & Methods: Sixty-one ASA III/IV patients operated under regional anaesthesia for carcinoma of the breast were included. Multiple level USG guided thoracic paravertebral block (PVB), PECS block (1/2), Pecto-intercostal fascial block (PIFB), Serratus-anterior plane block (SAPB), brachial plexus block, Superficial cervical plexus blocks (SCPB), Erector spinae block (ESB) were given in different combinations.
Result: There were 60 female patients (Age: 30-97 years) and 1 male patient (59 years) (Left side -27 patients, right side- 34 patients). Of the total 61 patients, 23 patients underwent BCS with axillary dissection, 36 patients underwent MRM with axillary dissection, 2 patients had MRM with Pectoralis Major muscle resection. Patients received different combinations of blocks PVB or ESB, PECS1/2 and SAPB. 43 patients received the PVB, 61 got the PECS1/2, 12 patients received ESP, 32 patients required SCPB, 1 infra-clavicular block and 35 patients got PIFB. All procedures were completed under regional anaesthesia with 51 patients getting intravenous midazolam (0.01-0.02mg/kg), 59 patients were given IV fentanyl (1-3ug/kg , 43 patients were given IV propofol (1-2mg/kg), These were given in small aliquots during the duration of the procedure. 2 patients had IV ketamine (0.5mg/kg) and 1 patient had IV dexmeditomidine (0.2-0.3ug/kg/hr). IV paracetamol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) ie. Inj Diclofenac Sodium IV in the dose of 1mg/kg (max 75mg) were given when not contraindicated.
There was single case of axillary hematoma with no other complications. No patient required ICU care postoperatively and were discharged as routine.
Conclusion: A combination of blocks may be an option for surgical anaesthesia for breast surgeries in high risk patients. Careful planning, patient counseling and attention to toxic dose of local anaesthetics must always be considered.
Keywords: Paravertebral block, Thoracic wall blocks, PECS block, Serratus Anterior plane block, Pecto-intercorstal fascial block, Superficial cervical plexus, Modified radical mastectomy, Breast conservative surgery.
1. Ferlay J1, Autier P, Boniol M, Heanue M, Colombet M, Boyle P. Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006. . Ann Oncol. 2007 Mar;18(3):581-92. Epub 2007 Feb 7.
2. Vadivelu N, Schreck M, Lopez J, Kodumudi G, Narayan D. Pain After Mastectomy And Breast Reconstruction. Am Surg. 2008; 74: 285-96.
3. Voight M, Frohlich Cw, WaschkeKf, Lenz C, Gobel U, Kerger H. Prophylaxis Of Postoperative Nausea And Vomiting In Elective Breast Surgery. J Clin Anaesth. 2011; 23: 461-468.
4. Fujii Y, Tanaka H, Toyooka H. Prophylactic Antiemetic Therapy With Granisetron-Dexamethasone Combination In Women Undergoing Breast Surgery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1998; 42: 1038-42.
5. Blanco R. The ‘Pecs block’: a novel technique for providing analgesia after breast surgery. Anaesthesia. 2011;66:847–848.
6. Pérez MF, Duany O, de la Torre PA. Redefining Pecs blocks for postmastectomy analgesia. Reg Anaesth Pain Med. 2015;40:729–730.
7. Blanco R, Parras T, McDonnell JG, Prats-Galino A. Serratus plane block: a novel ultrasound-guided thoracic wall nerve block. Anaesthesia. 2013; 68:1107–1113.
8. De la Torre PA, García PD, Alvarez SL, Miguel FJ, Pérez MF. A novel ultrasound-guided block: a promising alternative for breast analgesia. Aesthet Surg J. 2014;34:198–200.
9. Ueshima H, Kitamura A. Blocking of multiple anterior branches of intercostal nerves (Th2–6) using a transversus thoracic muscle plane block. Reg Anaesth Pain Med. 2015;40:388.
10. Rukewe A1, Afuwape OO2, Ugheoke A3, Fatiregun AA4. Single-shot lamina thoracic paravertebral block with ketofol for modified radical mastectomy. Local Reg Anesth. 2016 Oct 6;9:83-86.
11. Sopena-Zubiria LA, Fernández-Meré LA, Valdés Arias C, Muñoz González F, Sánchez Asheras J, Ibáñez Ernández C. [Thoracic paravertebral block compared to thoracic paravertebral block plus pectoral nerve block in reconstructive breast surgery]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2012 Jan;59(1):12-7.
12. Pawa A1, Wight J1, Onwochei DN1, Vargulescu R1, Reed I1, Chrisman L1, Pushpanathan E1, Kothari A2, El-Boghdadly K1.Combined thoracic paravertebral and pectoral nerve blocks for breast surgery under sedation: a prospective observational case series. Anaesthesia. 2018 Apr;73(4):438-443.
13. Greengrass R1, O’Brien F, Lyerly K, Hardman D, Gleason D, D’Ercole F, Steele S. Paravertebral block for breast cancer surgery. Can J Anaesth. 1996 Aug;43(8):858-61.
14. Schnabel A1, Reichl SU, Kranke P, Pogatzki-Zahn EM, Zahn PK.Efficacy and safety of paravertebral blocks in breast surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Br J Anaesth. 2010 Dec;105(6):842-52.
15. Robert B. Maniker, Rebecca L. Johnson, De Q. Tran. Interfacial Plane Blocks for Breast Surgery: Which Surgery to Block, and Which Block to Choose? www.anesthesia-analgesia.org June 2020 • Volume 130 • Number 6.
|How to Cite this Article: Wagh HD, Pendalya S, Nadkarni M | Ultrasound Guided Regional Anaesthesia for Breast Surgery in High Risk Patients- A Retrospective Observational Study | International Journal of Regional Anaesthesia | July-December 2022; 3(2): 93-97.
Hey very cool blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .
buy anabolic online europe! Click Here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/253215425
Your article has answered the question I was wondering about! I would like to write a thesis on this subject, but I would like you to give your opinion once 😀 casinosite
$5,000 FREE EXCHANGE BONUSES BELOW PlaseFuture FREE $3,000 BONUS + 0% Maker Fees + PROMOCODE FOR NEWS USERS OF THE EXCHANGE [M0345IHZFN] — 0.01 BTC site: https://buycrypto.in.net Our site is a secure platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and store cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and More. We are available in over 30 countries worldwide.
Free. Sign up to receive $100, Trade to receive $5500. Click Here: https://millionairego.page.link/free
Artificial intelligence creates content for the site, no worse than a copywriter, you can also use it to write articles. 100% uniqueness :). Click Here: https://stanford.io/3FXszd0
Dead indited articles, appreciate it for selective information.
Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.
Someone essentially help to make seriously posts I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular publish incredible. Wonderful job!
Some truly good posts on this web site, thanks for contribution.
Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance. I must say you’ve done a superb job with this. Additionally, the blog loads super quick for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog!
I will immediately seize your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
You’re so cool!! I dont suppose “밤의부산” I’ve read anything like this prior to. btw to avail my vids pls visit my timeline 😉 😉
Somebody essentially help to make seriously articles I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular publish extraordinary. Wonderful job!
бонус код мелбет. Click Here: https://bit.ly/3YSgux0
промокод для melbet. Click Here: http://lynks.ru/geshi/php/?melbet_promokod_pri_registracii_2020.html
видео чат с девушками бесплатно. Click Here: http://rt.livepornosexchat.com/
Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, let alone the content!
Check out my website
thank you for this post! Visit My Website
Visit My Website
Visit My Website
Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.
I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to
resolve this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.
Cheers! Life Experience Degree
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?
the Country/Roots and Americana charts in both
profitable ways for retired physicians to earn passive income
supplemental income for physicians best writing jobs to work
from home in the usa
best work-from-home jobs for college students in the usa
Buy metformin online and middle-finger to the system Discounted insulin without a prescription. Who needs doctors
Discounted Januvia without a prescription to cure diabetes available online Buy Actoplus without prescription